Sunday, December 23, 2007

WTF??!!

I just found out the we are having Christmas dinner with my SIL's(husband's sister)partner's (SIL2) family. This would be great but for three disturbing facts:

1. I have never met them before and this meet and greet will be with all of their extended family (considering my social anxiety issues of late, this is terrifying).

2. I don't think there will be any alcohol (ok, this makes me sound like a total candidate for AA, but a glass of wine would sure help things out a bit).

and

3. SIL2 is.....wait for it.....wait for it....not out to her family.

AND this is despite the fact that

wait for it................

SIL and SIL2 have a baby girl.


This is the craziest situation I have ever been in. SIL and SIL2 live together and have a child together and are completely out to our side of the family but SIL2's family has their collective head firmly planted in the sand and yet they invited us over for Christmas. WTF?????

When my husband told me about this, I made a joke about not having a social script for this type of family gathering and he said (and I am not shitting you):

"Maybe it would be a good idea if you just didn't talk."

Ok, so I may have a reputation for trying to get people to be less prejudiced, racist, and homophobic (or, at the very least, face up to their prejudice, racism and homophobia and the very gut wrenchingly real material, political, physical and psychic consequences of such oppression). Fine. And I may have done so less tactfully than I should. Fine. But he honestly thought/thinks that I would try to stage a Christmas intervention with SIL2's family. WTF!

I am going home and making a big ass drink.

3 comments:

Hilaire said...

Oh my god - that's insane!! My sympathies. Good luck!

(Is it gauche of me to request stories??)

gwoertendyke said...

oh my god. i am sitting in the cold-as-shit chicago laughing my ass off. don't worry, if i were you, i would sneak a drink!

why won't there be any wine? that is insane, for any family holiday gathering, but then perhaps i'm right there with you on the AA wagon.

i have no polite response to husband's demand. so i'll keep it to myself!!!

thinking of you, aw

lil'rumpus said...

Hilaire: I will pass on any interesting stuff that happens. What is even weirder (that I didn't mention in the post) is that my in-laws (SIL included) not only accepted the invite but are inexplicably excited about it.

AW:I am in the Memphis airport (second delay of the travel day) and the news on the tv about Chicago weather makes me wish I could teleport you to a warmer climate. "dreary" doesn't begin to cover it, methinks. I am hoping that there may be wine...one can dream, can't one?

damn this is gonna totally suck giant butt.