Despite my fears, Christmas turned out really well.
There was wine!
Ok, ok, it also went well because SIL2's family were very nice and it seems to be quite amazing what the presence of a cooing and grinning 6 month-old will do for family relations.
Before we left for dinner, I asked my MIL and SIL what the rules of engagement were. Basically, it seems like SIL2's family has done the mental gymnastics that allows them to think of the relationship as some sort of "special roommates." For those of you who might have watched the tv show Angel, it was like when Jasmine was born into the world and everyone smiled peacefully because they were being mystically mind fucked into thinking that the world was wonderful despite the fact that they had no free will. SIL2's family seem to really believe their story about roommates and they are sticking to it.
SIL also informed me that she needed to pass on the information to me and my husband from SIL2 that we needed to "behave ourselves." It seems that more than one person was worried about me and my big mouth but at least I got to give my hubby the look that said "Maybe YOU shouldn't talk, either."
And, yes, I did behave myself. I was a good little conversationalist and talked about all of the mundane small talky things that bore me to tears. The weather, for example. I asked neutral questions about everyone's jobs and I helped wash the dishes. I think I deserve an A+.
Throughout the day, though, I kept on waiting for all hell to break loose. For the facade to break and the spell to wear off leaving us all staring at the reality that we were so carefully blind to.
Thursday, December 27, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Thank God for wine. Hope your new year is better!
You do deserve an A+!
Happiest New Year, darlin'.
I promise to call when I think I'm able to talk about . . . things.
Love from the former "lucyrain."
Happy New Year Sfrajett! Yes, thank god for wine:)
khora!!! seeing your comment lit up my morning (quite an accomplishment since my in-laws gave me the flu for christmas and i feel like total crud:)
if there is anything i can do or help with "...things", just let me know.
Post a Comment