Friday, April 06, 2007

book shame

Adjunct Whore tagged me for a 5 book meme, so here it goes! 5 books that I should, but have never, read:

1. Moby Dick--I wonder how many lists this one will make? I missed an opportunity to see a staged adaptation of it as well.

2. Agamben--o.k. not so much a book as a big name that I damn well should have sat down with by now.

3. Bleak House--As an undergrad English major I was, of course, expected to read this thing but I just could not force myself through it. Smarter folks than I have encouraged me to reacquaint myself since age and patience help. I remain skeptical.

4. Frankenstein--considering that I occasionally draw upon Frankenstein as a metaphor in my work, I should really read this...

5. Various H's--Habermas, Heidegger...I've encountered these guys in bits but never outside of a reading in an edited collection or reader...

So there it is, my claims to shame...

2 comments:

gwoertendyke said...

yeah, i'm so glad i'm not alone in the demystifying business of books we ought to have read!

thanks for playing...

Scrivener said...

I've taken pictures of gummi bears reenacting Frankenstein, but haven't actually read the book. I did like Young Frankenstein a lot, though. I've never read Bleak House either. Not only have I not read Agamben, but I don't even have a clue what/who that is--not even vaguely familiar with it. I've read a fair amount of Heidegger, but mostly on my own more or less for fun and I can't claim that I've understood all that much of what I've read, to be honest.

However, Moby Dick is worth reading, IMO.