Tuesday, June 24, 2008

having to take a cold shower

Sometimes being a home owner is a...um...challenge.

Like this weekend, for instance, when our ancient hot water heater finally warmed it's last drop of water. It is kind of hard to conjure up excitement for buying a new hot water heater and having it installed. New hot water heaters are kinda in the same category as new subflooring or a termite company contract. You pay for these things and they do serve you, but they just aren't shiny and satisfying like a new outfit or a stylish cut and color. Heck (to stretch the analogies painfully), things like subfloors and termite contracts are not even as fulfilling as underwear and getting your hair shampooed.

Despite this, though, I have been working very hard to build enthusiasm for the new hot water heater that will (hopefully...cold showers suck even in the summertime) be installed this week. Why do I do this? Because I have to get some kind of pleasure out of spending $400-$700....else I may cry.

Here's what I have come up with:

My husband and I can shower at the same time in different bathrooms without running out of hot water. This seems small, but it sure does make mornings more tolerable.

We are going to save enough energy to feel at least a small sense of environmental efficacy. We are, after all, replacing a 25 year old model. yikes.

We will save money in the long run.

That's all I've got. That's it.

So, other home owners, how do you rationalize unfun house costs?

No comments: