Monday, October 16, 2006

Fall food

Part of the reason that I decided over the summer to train for the aerobics instructor gig was this thought in the back of my mind that if it was my job to exercise, the fall feeding frenzy would be forestalled.

Some folks like the change of seasons because of the relief from summer's heat. Others because of the beauty of fall colors. Still others because they look forward to winter (this one I simply *don't* get).

Me? It is all about comfort food. Big cast iron Dutch ovens filled with chili, slowly simmering beef stew, and pot roast. Freshly baked bread or, better yet, gooey and chewy sticky buns steaming on the counter with their caramel ooze beckoning stray fingers.

Mashed potatoes, ginger-orange-honey squash, sausage and oyster stuffing, GRAAAAVVVVVVVYYYYYYY.

Every Fall I go giddy in anticipation of Saturday and Sunday long cooking and eating. This year I am still going giddy....still indulging happily. The difference? Now I have to get up in front of a classroom in tight-ish gym clothes on a Monday morning.

(sheepish grin and sigh)

6 comments:

Hilaire said...

Good food descriptions...

Hey, does this mean you're finished the training and are now teaching aerobics??

Scrivener said...

I had the same question.

luckybuzz said...

Fall food is the *best*. I'm going to have a hard time sticking to Weight Watchers this fall...well, fall food is worth it. :)

lil'rumpus said...

Hilaire and Scriv: Yep, I am officially teaching. Thanks for asking! I made it through the training and have been teaching for about a month. And the cool thing is that I actually feel like I am doing some teaching. Not just a model on a platform, but giving people actual instruction and information. Kinda cool. Except for the all day food fest regret :)

LB: fall food is SO worth it!

Anonymous said...

Aw, fuck the teaching on all fronts. Get your toned ass to New Orleans. You have a place to stay from Thursday to Saturday.

lil'rumpus said...

Damn, I would love to get me to New Orleans...it is a little premature to announce, but I may have some serious cause to celebrate with much beer drinkage. I have job interruptus for vacationing in the Big Easy, unfortunately. Have an excellent time, Lucyrain, and say hello to all from me!