Sunday, August 27, 2006

Academic Crush

I have been reading all day for a review essay that I have been working on and have been so excited to have this project perform a triple duty for me! Not only have I been making headway on the thematic organization of the essay, but I've also been having an excellent brainstorm for organizing a seminar that I hope to teach in the Spring. Most energizing is that the next direction in my research has become clear. I have been mulling over an idea for this next direction for awhile now but the big picture just came to me as I was reading today! I am thoroughly giddy!

On a related note, a good friend and colleague and I have recently talked about the notion of the academic crush. For me, the academic crush is that feeling of excitement I get when I read the work of someone and I immediately am bowled over by the ideas and the writing. So much so that I have to resist the urge to find the person and email them to profess my infatuation with their scholarship.

So, I was wondering if anyone else suffers the crush?

5 comments:

jo(e) said...

I've had so many academic crushes. And then I'll go to a conference and get to actually meet this brilliant person -- and I turn into this blithering, inarticulate, blushing idiot. I'm not sure academic crushes work so well for that whole networking thing ....

Hilaire said...

Oh my - great news about your review essay. I love days of clarity like that - they're the absolute best.

Pilgrim/Heretic said...

I am SO a victim of the academic crush. They're fun and harmless (except for the kind of embarrassment jo(e) describes), just like regular crushes. And intellectually stimulating too!

Anonymous said...

I love it when a plan comes together.

Academic crushes? Only one, I suppose. You know him. His signature is tatooed on my back.

But if I ever do get a new crush, I can't imagine ever having to resist an urge to contact him/her. I've always been a "come to me" kind of gal. It's all about maintaining the upperhand.

Uh. I think I may have exceeded the boundaries of the conversation topic.

Anonymous said...

oh yes the academic crush (luckily?) most of my dies years ago so I don't have to worry about the awkward meeting, but what I wouldn't give to have a conversation with Henri Lefebvre